Submitted by: ASMBS Video Committee
The ASMBS Video Committee has recently been developed with a goal to advance the surgical techniques of metabolic and bariatric surgery via video demonstration of surgical procedures. Over the past year, the Committee has developed a video library, which is a depository for high-quality video submissions to help share valuable information and discussion around surgical technique.
The video library archived on the ASMBS website for member reference (under resources).
It includes over 120 videos presented at our national meetings from 2011 to 2017. The videos are grouped under ten categories, arranged in alphabetical order. The library is continuously updated with new videos and new features. The dynamic nature of the library will eventually make it the go-to audiovisual resource for sharing technical ‘tips & tricks’ in metabolic and bariatric surgery.
As the numbers of video sessions are significantly increasingly at our annual meeting, we expect rapid growth of our ASMBS video library. In addition, we are in the process of opening another channel for video submissions to the library called the Spectacular Video of the Month.
ASMBS standardized video format:
- Video Title
- Clinical presentation & indication of surgery
- Preoperative images/ endoscopy
- Operative procedure: trocar placement, dissection, resection and reconstruction.
- Postoperative images, course and 30 days outcome.
- Videos must not exceed 7 minutes in length.
- Videos must include verbal narration.
- No background music
- Videos cannot contain any evidence of commercial support.
Some of the committee’s upcoming projects include:
- Adding new features to ASMBS video library
- Development of Spectacular Video of the Month forum
- Development of technical skills video evaluation service
- Icons in bariatric surgery
- Mental conditioning in surgical video education
We are continuously working on improving the visibility of this exciting committee. Enthusiastic and audiovisual savvy individuals are welcome to join this dynamic committee.
ASMBS Staff Liaison: Martha Lindsey
Mustafa Aman, MD
Neil Floch, MD
Emanuel Lo Menzo, MD
Venkat Modukuru, MD
Tom Rogula, MD
Keith Scharf, MD
Sajani Shah, MD
Andre Teixeira, MD
Aley Tohami, MD
Stuart Verseman, MD
Colleen Kennedy, MD
Adrian Dan, MD